2020 was quite a year for the digital scene, was it not? With digital moving to the centre of attention as the only alternative to physical lock-down, web design also registered new heights in its development.
Some of the 2020 web design drifts re-asserted themselves as web trends from recent years, which sustained. Others, however, emerged as innovations, raising expectations towards web development to new levels.
So, what does the future hold for web design trends in 2021? In today’s discussion, we will outline the top ten web design trends for 2021 against the background of some established styles and rules you should always consider.
Are you already curious? You can get a feel about what is to come by taking a look at this 2020 video selection! Gaining some web design inspiration always works!
If not, let’s take the plunge!
Web Designs that Never Go out of Style
We are all used to living in a world of massive Internet information, often dominated by mobile. Probably, we should also add constantly expanding, no?
Indeed! And all of this has its implications for modern web trends too. Web design trends in 2021 have unfolded against the background of 2020, reconfirming at least the following prominent tendencies:
- Clean and minimalist layouts – in recent years, these are always relevant and trendy. They enable both your ability to show up with simplicity and your power to lay a clear focus on brand messages and call-to-actions.
- Simple and intuitive navigation – it is relevant both to desktop and mobile design. The easier for the user to navigate your website, the higher your overall website conversion. Take a look at the example below.
- Good legibility – this should be among your rules number one. No matter what, your website text should be easily readable and well-structured for the user to skim through.
- Mobile-friendly design – finally, this is a must. It has its specifics for both layout and content. With mobile consumption expanding, it is certain to stay with us in the future for long. Read more here.
If you surf the web, probably you will encounter a pile of further advice here. It may also deal with the type of design you choose, your colour scheme, animation, etc.
So, to make sure you keep track of it all, it is good to set aside some rules you should never break. Let us see what these may be.
Web Design Rules you Should Never Break
All in all, your own design rules will always depend on your website needs, customer profile, website targets and business specifics. Yet, to ensure modern website quality, you could follow some good practices covering at least the following:
- Content – as mentioned above, your text should be clear and readable, and obligatory – error-free! Further, besides fonts size and text structure, you should also pay attention to shifts and consistency, text colour choices, contrast, etc.
- Interactivity – if done well, it can add to valuable website engagement. Even so, you should avoid AutoPlay options, incoherent media combinations, improperly structured calls-to-actions, etc.
- Trustworthiness – probably one of the most important aspects from a customer’s point of view. It may be built along various lines. Yet, your contact information and business story are indispensable.
Should you need some helping hand in defining your web design rules, do not hesitate to contact us.
Top 10 Web Design Trends in 2021
Last year, the world changed, and so did web design. No matter that prominent web trends persisted, new aspects emerged and intrigued us all.
Hence, we have collected what appear to be the top ten web design trends in 2021.
1. Typography: retro fonts and big elegant serif fonts
The way fonts look and feel has always intrigued web designers. In 2021, however, there is a clearly expressed shift towards larger fonts and the return of the retro, often applied as a discrete touch. Big elegant serif fonts seem a preferred choice too.
2. Motion and interactivity: multimedia and augmented reality
Faster Internet allows for a better combination of various content and multimedia to enable richer user experiences. Nevertheless, the focus on simplicity is still important. For example, AutoPlay in the video is now replaced by a “Play” button, whereas content accessibility is a top priority.
Here, designers also pursued augmented reality features enabling customers to personalize product experiences. Frequently, they help in gaining a quality different product perception. See how we incorporated augmented reality know-how into our Hyundai project to let customers get a real feel and touch of a car’s interior.
3. Scroll animations: parallax and horizontal scroll, scrollytelling
Animation in 2021 is sure to remain. Even, it is further strengthened by design techniques such as:
- parallax scroll – a technique where two-dimensional objects move at a different speed on screen for an in-depth effect;
- horizontal scroll – although much rarer than its vertical counterpart, it is applied along the horizontal plane, and in 2020, it was seen coming back;
- scrollytelling – a type of visual storytelling where you interact with the website narrative by scrolling.
Web designers often combine above techniques with changes in the colour scheme, shifts in screens, etc.
4. Colours: muted colours, three-dimensional colours
It is already clear that colours in 2021 will tend to be muted, generally aimed at creating fuller website personality. Further, we have also witnessed the wide application of colour gradients as well as preference towards three-dimensional colours. Another thing to consider here is how colours display on mobile.
Let us take a look at the muted colour-scheme we have recently developed for a baby cosmetics brand in Bulgaria.
Source: Teo Bebe
5. Neumorphism (and glassmorphism)
This is an exciting design feature which is most commonly expressed in embossing. More often than not, it serves designers to emphasize buttons, search bars and text boxes. Sounds practical, right? Proved effective, for sure. Especially when combined with glassy transparent and multi-layered effects.
6. Organic design and hand-drawn illustrations
Both nature with its colour schemes, scenery, and sustainable motives, and the inclusion of hand-drawn illustrations were well explored in 2020. This web design inspiration is expected to continue throughout 2021 due to its ability to create brand uniqueness and differentiation from the global web.
7. Collages and abstract art compositions
Collage art came back to websites in 2020. This was largely influenced by stories in social media, which expanded to websites too.
Moreover, websites boldly applied abstract art both on backgrounds and products. Providing novel ways to display products, it promises to become one of the important web design trends 2021. This is how Prada employs this web design inspiration.
8. Dark mode
More and more screens are embracing the black mode in 2021, as this enables them to emphasize other design elements. Some brands are introducing the option with the additional inclusion of a switch button for dark and light modes. The feature combines well with the mobile design too. It is suited to battery savers and displays well when exposed to direct sunlight. Finally, it contributes to websites fancy modern look on phones and tablets.
9. Custom cursors
Has it ever occurred to you that one of the most direct ways of engaging site visitors to your website is by replacing the common cursor with a custom one? This has come onboard in 2020 as a clearly expressed designer’s interest as well. Take a look at how Grind Web Studio’s website uses a custom cursor to tell its story.
10. Anti-design: geometric forms, black outlines
Ultimately, 2020 design trends featured a great deal of anti-design experimentation. It is a bold, original and rebellious approach which is believed to oppose mass culture.
Anti-design in 2021 focuses on experiments with geometric grids, black outlines on squares and forms, etc. Its goal often is to both facilitate user navigation and to construct unexpected digital experiences. However, brands should approach it carefully as it does not necessarily apply everywhere.
Ready for the biggest web design trends in 2021? We are excited for the year to present! 2021 demonstrates plenty of potential to match technological advancement and customer expectations. Do not miss the new wave and stand out!
If you are interested in launching your new design project in 2021, you can always count on us for professional assistance. Call us as soon as today!